Concrete has been used for centuries and was one of the most popular building materials during the days of the Roman Empire. Although concrete is strong, fire-resistant, and versatile, it can develop problems that need to be repaired promptly to prevent additional damage. When they need concrete repairs for parking lots, curbs, sidewalks, streets, dumpster pads, or other areas paved with concrete, many people turn to Marathon Solutions Group for high-quality work at competitive rates.
There are several things that can damage concrete, and the same cause can manifest in various ways. Therefore, before attempting to make a repair, it will first be necessary to determine the root cause of the damage.
• Construction Errors: Constructing a concrete pavement is not as straightforward as some people believe. There are numerous steps involved, and a mistake during any of them can cause problems. For example, if the pavement was not engineered to support the weight of the expected traffic, the concrete might crack. If the contractor allowed the concrete to dry out too much during the curing process, the pavement can develop shrinkage cracks or surface flakes. Improper preparation of the underlying soil and base can result in cracks or slab movement.
• Subsidence: It is no secret that the ground in many parts of Houston and the surrounding counties is sinking. Subsidence can allow the slabs to shift out of alignment vertically or horizontally.
• Weather: Admittedly, the temperature rarely drops below freezing in the Houston area, but it does happen. If the concrete has not yet cured sufficiently, freezing temperatures can weaken the concrete and make it porous. Water filtering through the concrete can rust the rebar, and the rust can cause additional cracking. A heavy rain that falls on unprotected concrete within an hour or so of the installation can leave aggregate exposed on the surface.
• Trees: Tree roots can inflict damage in various ways. If they burrow under the pavement, they can uplift a slab, resulting in an uneven surface that can present a hazard to pedestrians and drivers. If they exert sufficient pressure against the side of the pavement, they can cause cracks or misalign the slab.
The repair technique will depend on the type of damage and its cause. If possible, the cause should be corrected before the repair is made.
• Crack Filling: Many cracks can be filled with the use of an epoxy gel or other high-quality filler.
• Overlay: If the damage is primarily cosmetic and does not go very deep, it may be possible to remove the top layer and cover it with new concrete.
• Mudjacking: Sometimes, it is possible to level or raise a concrete slab by drilling a few small holes and pumping a cement slurry underneath the pavement.
• Remove and Replace: In many instances, it is more cost-effective to tear out the old concrete and replace it. This is often the best way to handle curbs that have suffered significant impact damage or sections of a sidewalk that have been uplifted by tree roots or ground movement.
Whatever has damaged your concrete pavement, you can count on the professionals at Marathon Solutions Group for repairs. We are a full-service paving company with an impeccable reputation for quality and integrity. Our services include concrete repairs and installation, asphalt paving and resurfacing, bollard installation, asphalt milling, parking lot striping and pavement marking, asphalt repairs, and thermoplastic markings. You can request a free quote by completing the online form or calling +1 800-879-1147.
An inspired approach to quality residential,
and commercial projects
Marathon was established in 2005 by two best friends that met during their Junior Year of High School at Spring Woods in Houston, Texas. Starting out with only a Chevy Tahoe, 4″ paint roller and the belief that if you listen to your customers’ needs, give 110% and provide the best service in the market you will have a client for life. As it would turn out, those principals paid off!
We went from applying 300 gallons of traffic paint our first year in business to installing over 45,000+ gallons of paint in 2019! More than 80% of our projects year after year are from repeat clients.
Connect with us
Let’s talk about your project
When you hire us for paving or asphalt project, you know you’re getting highly qualified professionals
who have the expertise and experience to make sure your project is done properly
and with the best customer care possible.