The manufacturers of pavement marking products have made substantial investments in research to develop products that will form the strongest possible bond with the pavement and have the longest life possible. However, there are times when these markings need to be removed. Fortunately, Marathon Solutions Group possesses the knowledge, equipment, and experience to remove pavement markings effectively and efficiently.
There are a number of valid reasons for removing markings from roadways, parking lots, or other pavements. Here are a few of these reasons.
1. Parking lot layouts may need to be altered. For example, you might want to change the parking angle from 60 degrees to 90 degrees so that you can fit more parking stalls in the same area. If you do not eradicate the old stripes, drivers will be confused about how they should park. You might also need to alter your layout if you discover that you need to increase the number of accessible spaces or relocate them so that you can comply with the ADA. Eradicating the old markings will help eliminate any confusion over whether a space is reserved for the handicapped or available to all drivers.
2. You may need to alter the traffic patterns in your parking to eliminate areas of congestion, improve safety, or accommodate changes in the parking angle. Instead of allowing two-way traffic on every aisle, for example, you might want to create alternating one-way traffic aisles.
3. When repairing a roadway, you might need to divert traffic to a new path through detours or temporary lane shifts. Unless you obliterate the old markings, drivers can become confused and may travel in the wrong lane. This can endanger the people and equipment in the work zone as well as other drivers.
4. Pavement markings are often applied to the concrete floors inside manufacturing facilities and warehouses to identify no-go zones, travel paths for forklifts, or fire lanes. Striping and pavement markings can identify specific storage areas for pallets of products, making it easier for forklift drivers to retrieve items to be shipped. However, changes in the layout, the addition or relocation of equipment, or new safety regulations or policies may require removing old markings.
The exact removal method will depend on whether the pavement is asphalt or concrete and whether the marking material is epoxy, thermoplastic, or paint. There are several possible methods, but some of them are not commonly used.
1. Waterblasting: Under high pressure, water is directed at the markings. The water jets are as sharp as needles, so they can pulverize the markings and wash them away. This method minimizes scarring, but it is not always powerful enough to remove all types of marking materials. In addition, it is neither the fastest nor the cheapest method.
2. Sandblasting: Instead of water and high pressure, sandblasting uses sand and low pressure. Sandblasting is usually reserved for concrete pavements, but the technique can be used indoors, making it a possible choice if you need to remove floor markings inside a warehouse or manufacturing facility.
3. Grinding: Grinders, also called scarifiers, can be used to remove a variety of materials, including thermoplastic, paint, and epoxy. This method is the least expensive and fastest way to remove pavement markings, but it can result in some scarring of the pavement, particularly when used on asphalt pavement. However, in the hands of an experienced, skilled worker who is using the right grinder for the task, the damage can be minimized.
4. Chemicals: Certain chemicals can remove markings on both concrete and asphalt pavements. However, the chemicals need time to work. When the time is up, the pavement is pressure-washed.
5. Burning: Most materials used for marking pavements can be vaporized. However, this method can leave scorch marks or scars.
The experts at Marathon Solutions Group can determine the type of marking materials on your pavement and remove them by using the appropriate method. We also offer a wide variety of other services, including pavement repair, thermoplastic markings, parking lot striping, asphalt milling, concrete installation, asphalt resurfacing, parking lot signage, asphalt crack repair, bollard installation, asphalt sealcoating, and concrete repair. We are known for our excellent craftsmanship, commitment to customer satisfaction, and competitive prices. To request a free quote, simply submit the online request form or call our Houston office at +1 800-879-1147.
An inspired approach to quality residential,
and commercial projects
Marathon was established in 2005 by two best friends that met during their Junior Year of High School at Spring Woods in Houston, Texas. Starting out with only a Chevy Tahoe, 4″ paint roller and the belief that if you listen to your customers’ needs, give 110% and provide the best service in the market you will have a client for life. As it would turn out, those principals paid off!
We went from applying 300 gallons of traffic paint our first year in business to installing over 45,000+ gallons of paint in 2019! More than 80% of our projects year after year are from repeat clients.
Connect with us
Let’s talk about your project
When you hire us for paving or asphalt project, you know you’re getting highly qualified professionals
who have the expertise and experience to make sure your project is done properly
and with the best customer care possible.